Interactive Chemistry Worksheets for Students
1. Heading Slide: Nuclear Energy
2. What is the nucleus of an atom?
The nucleus is the center of an atom.
It is made up of protons and neutrons.
3. What is nuclear energy?
Nuclear energy is the energy released from a nuclear reaction as a result of nuclear fission or nuclear fusion.
4. Where does nuclear energy come from?
Note: The speed of light is 3 x 108 metres per second. In one second light can travel around the Earth's equator 7.5 times!
5. What is nuclear fusion? Where does it occur?
6. What is nuclear fission? Where does it occur?
7. What is a chain reaction?
8. How does a nuclear reactor produce electricity?
Research Questions (Select question according to time)
9. What is the most powerful atomic bomb ever detonated?
10. How does a nuclear submarine work?
How long can a nuclear submarine remain underwater?
11. Describe the effects of the atomic bombings of Hiroshima and Nagasaki
12. Research the life of Tsutomu Yamaguchi (1916-2010)
Tsutomu survived two nuclear bomb blasts!
He was in Hiroshima for the first blast and was injured by the blast.
He then travelled to Nagasaki where the second bomb was dropped.
He lived to the age of 93.
13. Submarine-Launched Ballistic Missiles (SLBM)
The latest US Trident D-5 submarine lauanched missiles have a range of 12 000 km
(This is the distance from Sydney to Los Angeles)
Each missille is capable of deploying 12 Reentry Vehicles (RVs) each with a 100 KT warhead.
UK submarines can carry 16 Trident missles per submarine.
The US Ohio class submarines can carry 24 ballistic missiles per submarine.
14. Research the Chernobyl nuclear diaster